Thursday, May 21, 2015

Management Styles

Alberto Gil

                After watching the video of the “NeXT” company start up I was reminded of some of the techniques which I read about throughout the last two semesters and I was a bit surprised by Steve Jobs leadership skills. Although he is a very successful business man I believe that through studying his mistakes there are some different techniques which I could have applied to give the NeXT Company a chance at survival. As mentioned in this video what we were watching was the NeXT start up team, even though this was supposed to be a team I feel like it was not treated as a team where everyone had an equal say. I do believe that just by looking at this video that Steve was definitely in charge and he seemed to drown out everyone else’s voice.
                There are many different characteristics to a “self-managed work team” (Brown 2011), I think that if the strategic components of a self-managed work team would have been implemented in the case of this start up team things could have turned out differently. One of the characteristics of a self-managed team which I believe would have made a difference is that “team members have a sense of vision”; having a vision ensures that everyone is on the same page. One issue which I saw stand out to me was the fact that everyone had their own vision of what this new computer system had to be. Some people could not agree on the price and the technology, others could not agree on a deadline; Steve’s leadership style seemed to dictate all of these decisions. It seemed like Steve was so much in control that it made me wonder why he was having these retreats and team meetings if he was not going to seriously consider what his team was trying to explain to him. Even though it is important to be objective in a team it is also important to take your team members advice seriously even if you do not agree with them.
                Looking at my results from my management assessment I saw a couple of things which I was not surprised about. It said that I have more of a tactical leadership style than anything else, the characteristics of a tactical leader consist of persuade, negotiate, troubleshoot, and appreciate (Management assessment). I found this analysis to be spot on, I do not try to run the show in a totalitarian way; instead I like to persuade with facts and also negotiate. I believe that in a team atmosphere there is no characteristic more important than someone that knows how to negotiate, if we are to be team leaders we need to know how to deal with others and find common grounds. I believe that my leadership style could have been a good fit in a group of individuals similar to this one where everyone is very knowledgeable.
                Another characteristic of “Self-managed work teams” is that “there is a strong partnership between members and management”. So even if Steve was considered to be strictly management in these meetings there should have been a stronger sense of partnership. To me it seemed like Steve was acting as a team member but in the end he would make the management decisions on his own while keeping a supervisor/ subordinate relationship. I believe that since Steve brought these people over from another company to be partners then he should have treated them as such. I think I was able to sense a bit of resentment from some of the team members; there was a sense that they felt their opinions did not make a difference.   
                I do not believe that I have all of the answers to being a good leader but based off of my past experience and studying my personal management assessment I do believe that I can be a good team leader. I have noticed that I do like to listen to others and I take into account others opinions and weight them heavily prior to making a hasty decision. Even when I am in charge and accountable for being the sole leader I listen to others opinions rather than use the power of my title. Being in charge is a great privilege but I believe that with that power comes the great responsibility of knowing when to listen to others as well. I believe that if Steve had taken into account his team members advice the outcome for NeXT could have been different.

References:

Brown, D. (2011). An experiential approach to organizational development (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.

Client Report Alberto Gil. (2015, May 20). Retrieved May 21, 2015.


                

No comments:

Post a Comment