Wednesday, June 4, 2014

A511.1.3.RB_AlbertoGil


 

            When I try to think of a leader which inspires me it takes me a while to think about that question. I sit back in my chair and I am puzzled by this question, I guess I never gave it much thought. I started to think about where I was in my life, who I thought I was, what I was and why I am doing what I do in my everyday life. I started to question why I was still working hard to get better in life, I have a great paying job, I am a college graduate and for the most part life is pretty good. Although here I am doing school work on a sunny afternoon when I could be at the park playing baseball with my son. It instantly came to me in a second when I thought about just doing what is easier in life and I thought about my dad. My Father was born on a farm in a foreign country, probably not an easy life by any means, I am sure that it consisted of hard work but I knew that my dad was comfortable doing what he did. It was not a challenge for him and he knew the ins and outs of farm work. At the age of 18 my dad took his life savings and got on a plane to come to the United States. Now of course there was a lot of thought to this, it was not spur of the moment, nor was he just doing it just for fun. There was reason for him changing his life, he wanted to do something special in his life and give his future family more than he ever had. He believed in the “why” of what he was doing which is why he poured his blood, sweat and tears into his new life.

            My dad was the leader of my family and he inspires me to this day more than anyone that I can think of. He might have not changed the world as the wright brothers did which were able to fly the first plane but he was able to show me that in life we need to keep pushing and never stay in our comfort zone. My dad inspires me as an individual because I also come from humble beginnings growing up in New York City where the majority of people stay in their comfort zone. At the age of 18 I was just like my father and now I had the “why” that I wanted to pour my hard work into. I did not want to stay where I was comfortable and work a regular job for the rest of my life, I want to do something special and provide my children with the life that I did not have growing up. There is something to be said about a leader that goes beyond being satisfied with their work, a leader must push the envelope never being satisfied with mediocrity. A leader does have to ask why they are doing the things they do and not just for profit but to do the best possible job they can do. There are many companies that have the “why” and still to do this day people will spend years working for a company that can only afford to pay them less than others places might, the difference is that the employees believe in what they are doing. They have a love for what they do and this is what makes some companies much more successful than others. Companies that know why they do what they are doing have managers which take on the leadership role and make a difference. In this case the word manager is more than just a title, your managers in companies that believe what they do are more like leaders.

            When we think about what a typical manager does we have to think about how a manager works on a daily basis. “Most managers make less momentous decisions in the process of solving operational problems, setting short term goals, assigning work to subordinates, setting up work schedules, authorizing the expenditure of funds for supplies or equipment and approving pay increases(yukl pg.28). This is not what a leader does, a leader does not use their time doing task rather they use their time creating new ways of doing things and knowing how to get the most out of his subordinates. A leader does this because they believe in a company or they believe in their goals and they want to get the most out others imaginations and creativity. A leader wants to do new things and be the first to achieve new heights while bringing along his following. A leader wants to be someone that can create change even if it is just in one person like my father did for me. Being a leader or a great leader is so much more than just a job, it is hard to describe “It is consequently very difficult to settle on a single definition of leadership that is general enough to accommodate these many meaning and specific enough to serve as an operationalization of the variable (Yukl pg. 7).” What this quote means to me is that leadership is just something that you can feel and it is not a task nor is it a job.

Reference:
Yukl, G. (2013). Leadership in organizations (8th ed.). Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.

 
 
 
 

              

No comments:

Post a Comment