Sunday, April 19, 2015

Self Managed Teams

  • What do you see as some of the major benefits and drawbacks of self-managed teams?
  • Would you like to work within such a team?
  • What competencies would you need to develop to be an effective external manager of a self-managed work team?

If someone in the business-world told me that they feel like they are caged in when it comes to getting their ideas across because their boss never listens to them, I would recommend this person look into a self-managed team. Far too often I hear of people with great ideas not being able to say what is on their minds because they are afraid of what might happen to their promotion. Even though I have seen this most of my life I feel that nothing has ever been done about it; as a leader in the past I have always wanted to bring out others creativity but it is easier said than done. This is where the concept of self-managed teams would come into play, A self-managed team is an “autonomous group whose members decide how to handle their task” (Brown 2011).  
            Many times a SM team will be brought together for short projects or they could stay together for long term team work which can span out as long as the external mangers allow it to. This is a concept which breaks the barrier of the business world, when I think about an SM team I think about a sandlot baseball team. It seems that everyone makes decisions and at some point everyone can be the boss, this is why I think that there are so many benefits to a SM team. In a SM team there are benefits which could spark immense creativity, responsibility, and accountability. A SM team has many responsibilities which include setting work schedules, budgeting, making job assignments, developing performance goals, and hiring and selecting team members; this list of task can be modified to basically whatever the team feels that they need to do. To truly understand all of the benefits I believe that one would have to see this type of group looking from the outside in, the freedoms which a group like this has will spark ideas which might have never been mentioned before as we remove certain barriers which the typical employee might encounter.
            Now although I do see plenty of benefits I can also see where the drawbacks of a SM team would stick out like a sore thumb. The important piece to self-managed teams is that everyone in your team needs to know that it is a privilege and they need to understand that they will have more responsibilities. If there are certain members who do not want to comply with this platform things can get ugly very fast. Many times if someone is not motivated because the company is not providing them with an “incentive or advancement opportunities, companies might find trouble within these types of groups” (Brown 2011). We have to remember that working in teams does take a lot more work and employees can quickly be discouraged if it only helps the organization but does little for their career.
            As I am learning about SM teams I actually feel a bit jealous that I have not participated in one of these myself. As an ex-military member I am very accustomed to having a rank structure, this rank structure never seemed to fit my ideal job setting which is why I chose to leave the military. I do believe that I would like to be in a SM team because more than anything I sense that there would be high moral and employees would experience greater satisfaction from their job. If I were in a SM team I would be able to surround my team with people that are a good fit, I would be able to speak my mind, and I would be able to have a say when I have to work. It is as if I would be running my own business and I would be doing something which I have a real passion for. I believe that these are qualities which any employer would like to see out of their employees, a strong team translates into a strong organization.
            Organizations which have strong performances not only turn in high profits but they also attract prestigious awards which can be a great recruiting tool also. Companies with exemplary performance in the past have been known to receive awards like the “Malcom Baldrige National Quality Award”. The “Baldrige award is given to companies by Baldrige examiners which observe achievements and improvements in all seven Baldrige core values and concepts” (nist.gov). These seven concepts consist of leadership, strategic planning, customer and market focus, measurement analysis, human resource focus, and business results. An organization which receives this type of award should feel very proud of all of the work which was dedicated to making their organization one of the best amongst their competitors.
            So since I believe so much in SM teams the goal would one day be to put together my own team so that my organization can also flourish. SM teams are generally put together by “external leaders”, these leaders are the ones responsible for selecting these teams and giving them task. I believe that to be a good external leader you have to be good at just stepping back and let your work speak for itself. As an external leader your work is putting the team together and knowing that they will succeed, knowing who to add to your team is an important part of your job. As an external leader you will have to be someone who can spot talent, take advantage of your resources, and believe in the power of diversity. What an external leader wants is to create an all-star team of people which you know can handle the job. Aside from all of this you need to know that micro management is not good for a SM team, once you set your team free you need to let them work unless there is an emergency and you have to step in.
            If I ever do have my own organization I know that this is the type of team that I would like to have in place and taking my business to the next level. I do believe that there is something special that happens when you take good employees and unleash their full potential. If people are able to implement their own ideas and have some sort of control over the situation I believe that natural leaders will be born and the results will definitely help any organization.
References:
- Brown, Donald R. (2011). An Experiential Approach to Organization Development (8th ed.).    Upper Saddle River, New Jersey: Pearson Education, Inc.
- Baldrige Performance Excellence Program. (2014, May 14). Retrieved April 19, 2015, from http://www.nist.gov/baldrige/award_recipients/index.cfm
    

No comments:

Post a Comment